Well there is nothing fried about this rice. But it is one of Tara’s favorite lunches and hence adding it here. May be one day when she grows up she will look at this recipe and make herself some.
Here’s how it goes.
- Chop the chicken in bite size chunks and let it soak in some soy sauce and sesame oil
- Add ghee + sesame oil to the instant pot
- Add chopped onions and saute them until cooked. Toss in the chicken and cook until it looks cooked from the outside.
- Add dashes of mirin, fish sauce and a little chili oil to the pot.
- Add minced ginger (a good qty of it)
- Add 1 cup rice and 1 cup water
- Toss in frozen peas and carrots.
- Season with salt.
- Seal the lid and set the pot to Rice setting. Turn Keep Warm on.
- Once timer goes up, let the rice cook on warm for 10min more. Open the lid and voila!
Seriously! Getting back to an empty fridge and a full week ahead of you when you need to feed three stomachs, has never been this easy. Thanks to my buddy, instant pot.
I made a quick khichdi for lunch, cooked a curry, marinated the meats for the week, and made two of the 4 lunches for Tara for this week, and now I wait for my magic machine to make some yummy yogurt for me overnight. I can enjoy it in my smoothie tomorrow morning 🙂
Here’s a quick khichdi recipe that requires less than 5 min of prep time and some 10min to cook. It has become our staple every time we come back from a trip.
- Turn on the pot. Set it to Saute. Add some ghee/oil.
- When pot turns hot, add the cumin, ginger, hing and red chilies and chopped onions. All the digestive goodness that your tummy desires after a long trip away from home 😀
- Add whatever frozen whatever frozen veggies you have in the freezer. I usually keep cauliflower, peas, carrots.
- Toss in the lentils and rice and top it off with water. [ 1/2 cup rice, 1/2 cup Moong Dal and 1/2 cup toor dal with 2 cups of water]
- Season with turmeric, salt.
- Seal the lid. Set it to rice setting and forget about it
- Add a spoon of ghee when you serve it. Delicious 😀
1 cup chopped basil
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup vegetable oil
Garlic 4-6 pods
1 tbsp lemon juice
4 egg yolks
Salt to taste
Mix all the ingredients minus the oils in a jar.
Start the emulsification with dropping oil slowly into the jar, as you blend.
Blend until you get a mayo like consistency
Home made basil aioli tastes amazing on breakfast sandwiches, chicken or salmon paninis, and also as a dip with veggies and fries.
I cooked the wild rice with lemongrass and coconut milk, with a pinch of salt and sugar. Let it cool down
For the dressing use – coconut milk, fish sauce, salt, lemon juice, sugar, basil chopped and coriander chopped.
Toss in some red peppers, cooked carrots, crushed roasted peanuts, chopped basil, and chopped coriander.
Garnished with Pomegranate.
Served it for lunch as a side salad, and served it with grilled tilapia and a fried egg on top for dinner.
Hat tip to the Local restaurant in Kapaa, Kauai that inspired the creation.
Coarsely chop ginger, onion, garlic and green chilies
Marinate the chicken in mustard oil, red chili, salt and turmeric.
Blend 3 tomatoes into a puree
Turn on the instant pot on sauté and let it get hot.
Add a few tables spoons of oil.
Add whole spices – cloves, pepper, cardamom and cinnamon. Add Cumin seeds and let them splutter
Add some freshlet chopped mint leaves
Now add Kasoori Methi
Now add the ginger garlic onion and green chilies and sauté for 5-7 min till they turn translucent and further golden
Add the chicken pieces and toss them around. Goal is not to cook them fully, but coat them in the masala.
Cook for 2min.
Add tomato purée, along with cumin powder, and coriander powder.
Add 1/2 cup water and close the lid of the pot.
Turn to Manual and high pressure for 8 Min.
Quick release as soon as the timer is up.
Add a truck load of freshly chopped coriander. Stir and serve 🙂
- 1/2 Bauducco Panettone bread (See here)
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 stick cold butter
- 2 tbsp condensed milk or 4 tbsp sugar
- 1 pint Half and Half
- Vanilla Essence – 2 tbsp
- Dash of cinnamon
Cut the bread in cubes (1 inch thick)
Set them up in a baking tray
Vitamix ingredients (2-6)
Pour the custard over the bread.
Dash of cinnamon
Bake for 45 min and then 45min at 350
Serve warm with a drizzle of caramel.